Thursday, May 8, 2014

Throw-back Thursday

Many years ago, I wrote for a family magazine about the experiences of being a grandmother.  This article  was from 1993.
Enjoy!

                               All Dressed Up For Easter

Spring time and Easter are very special times of the year for me.
I can smell the wonderful fragrance of hyacinths and as my neighbor says, "It takes me back!"  Some of my favorite memories are of dyeing eggs (that was always so exciting), family egg hunts, and new clothes!

I always had everything new to wear to church Easter sunday.  My mother was an expert seamstress.  It has taken me many years to fully appreciate how special the Easter dresses she made for me were.  I always wished I had a "ready made" one.

When our children were growing up, new clothes were very important on Easter. I always thought, contrary to popular opinion, that boys could be dressed just as cute as girls.  With my first born, Steven, he proved my point.  I remember a pale yellow Eton suit, white shirt with peter pan collar, white knee socks, and white shoes.    He looked precious!

Then along came Rob...Those same kinds of clothes just did not work!  For some reason they just did not stay on his body.  I remember one Easter sunday in particular.  He was probably five and looked so cute when he went in his Sunday School class.  As he in to the sanctuary looking for us before church, this is what I remember seeing:  His necktie was tied around his head...indian style.  His shirttail was out.  And his white slacks had a hole in the knee.  He was totally unaware of my distress!

This is the same child who, several years later, had the congregation complaining to  the ushers that something...possibly insulation... was falling from the ceiling.  To my dismay, Rob was discovered on the front row of the balcony, picking fuzz off his sweater and tossing it over the rail!

Aren't we glad our children are different?

It is always a joy to watch them become "real people".  

Love,
MiMi





No comments:

Post a Comment